Thursday, September 23, 2010

Red Sox Nation




I can’t tell you how many times, when people would find out I was moving to Boston, people would beg me to “just PLEASE don’t become a Red Sox fan”! I’ve never been much of a sports fan to tell you the truth.  The only sports fan I was around growing up was my Papaw Byron. After the last second Duke NCAA championship win over Kentucky in 93’ sent his heart out of rhythm and him to the emergency room, sports didn’t exactly conjure up the best emotions. Of course it also didn’t help that my home teams were: East Carter High School (we didn’t win one football game my senior year), UK (football was on probation and basketball was in a dismal spiral downward thanks to Tubby), the Cincinnati Reds, the Cincinnati Bengals, the Washington Nationals, and the Redskins. 

In all actuality and unbeknownst to those other fans, I was super excited to have a home team that could actually play the game!  Best of all, the game just so happens to be my most beloved sport, baseball.  I was very fortunate to be given tickets to the Red Sox vs. Blue Jays game on Sept. 17 by my fellow MFST Research Assistant, Alex, as a farewell gift.  What a treat from one of the most thoughtful people I have ever met.

Last Friday the big day finally arrived!  I was sporting my new Boston Red Sox pullover courtesy of my roommate Phil, and Kavan and I set off to start the night off right with some pre-game margaritas. Too bad we didn’t find out till later that they sell clam chowder in the stands!  We made it to our seats in time for the opening pitch, and the sight was breathtaking. 




Fenway is now the oldest ballpark still in use and it really does feel like you are back in the early 1900’s watching the game.  They even still keep score on a manual slide scoreboard!



Although the Red Sox ended up losing by two, the aura of the stadium, along with the undying love from the fans, was an experience I will not soon forget. Now I just need to get me a pair of these.