Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Focaccia Fun

After my little sourdough science fair project ended in a tub of putrid goo and disturbed roommates, I've been leery to try my hand at another loaf of bread.  It wasn't until my cookbook just happened to open up to a recipe of healthy rosemary focaccia bread, did I contemplate trying my hand at bread making again.  I am so glad I did!

Watching my bread rise made me feel like a proud mama, and when it actually doubled in size I felt like my bread child had graduated high school.


Oh how it pained me so to go onto the next step of the recipe, "punch down the dough".


It was now time for my bread child to be put in its pan to rise for a second time.


My bread child was well on its way to becoming the best looking focaccia bread this side of Verndale St.  Then came time to bake, and the true test was underway.  40 minutes in the oven and it was over.  My bread child was now mature enough to handle any topping or dipping sauce that came its way.


Deeeeelish :-9  Last night, I had it with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper, wonderful.  This morning, I created a dish inspired by croque madame using the focaccia bread, drizzled with olive oil, and topped with cheddar cheese and an egg over easy.  Kavan and I ate this lovely breakfast with latte in hand, and for one moment I was transported to a little cafe in France..... Maybe someday...