Thursday, October 7, 2010

A Taste of Home


Being the foodie that I am, I subscribe to Bon Appetit.  It's always fun to see what the latest food craze is and how I can jump on the bandwagon.  Even more so, since Boston and DC are major US cities, sometimes local restaurants are highlighted.  Last month there was a feature on the Top 10 Best Places for Pie, of course they couldn't list my Nana's house because she is so transient now a days, but a local Boston restaurant Petsi Pies was listed.  Known for it's sweet potato pie and southern pecan pie, Petsi Pies is just a T ride away for me.

Then I started thinking... pecan pie...  when have I ever wanted a pecan pie other than Nana's?  NEVER!  Pecan pie is a staple at her house every fall and I know she would not want me to do without it up here in Boston.  Coincidentally, Nana called to catch up the next day, and I made sure to request her recipe.  She even figured out how to email it to me using her new email!

Go Nana!

WARNING: Don't try this at home unless you have someone around to take the pie away after your first piece.

Supplies ready


My first pie crust from scratch :)


It's goin in!


Success!!


Nana's Pecan Pie
1 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. flour
1/2 c. white corn syrup
1/4 c. melted butter or margerine
3 eggs, well beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. pecans (halved or chopped, I liked chopped)
9 in. pie crust (I used a Basic Flaky Pie Crust recipe)

1. Mix sugar and flour together in a medium sized bowl.
2. Mix in corn syrup and butter.
3. Mix in eggs, vanilla, and pecans.
4. Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell and bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until center is set when gently shaken.
5. Cool on a wire rack.

Note: Be careful not to overcook, it should turn out similar to a custard pie.

Thank you Nana! <3