Saturday, October 16, 2010

HONK!

No, I'm not obsessing over ducks again.  This honk refers to the annual HONK! Festival made up of activist street bands.  I knew this would be theee perrrfect thing to do with Merey in town.  Being a trumpeter herself, Merey loves the brass band scene, as do I.

Last Sunday, Merey, my roomie Amelia, and I headed to Harvard Square to see what HONK! had to offer.  In addition to the bands there were also several street merchants and some AMAZING mimes.



 When I first saw the Wicked Witch I thought she was a statue! Too bad I didn't have a spare dollar to make her move.


One of my favorite bands was Environmental Encroachment from Chicago. They were so much fun!

I love the green rabbit!

Reason #2 this band is awesome..... rubber chicken trombone hehe

However, the band that stole the show by far was the What Cheer? Brigade out of RI.  We stayed at their spot for 30 minutes or more listening to their New Orleans style jazz.


They put the HONK in HONK!

Everyone was having a good ole' time :)  There is no way to describe how much energy this band disseminated into the crowd without a video.



After the show, we grabbed some iHOP (a guilty pleasure) and walked around Harvard Yard for a while.  What a great day :)