Saturday, July 14, 2012

First Friday with Josiah McElheny

Last weekend was the first First Friday at the Institute of Contemporary Art here in Boston.  I got a groupon earlier this year for a 1 year membership there, and was excited to get my first perk of being a member -- free admission and cocktail!  My friend Aleks who is moving to San Fran soon *tear* came with me, and we had a blast! The featured exhibit was Josiah McElheny who is a huge space guru.  He created the most dazzling room of sculptures I have ever seen.  Inspired by chandelhers in the Metropolitan Opera House, each star burst sculpture alludes to all of the infinite number of possibilities of structures present in space.  The room was filled with these breathtaking star bursts and was positioned in a way that made me feel as if I was walking through a galaxy. I was surprised there weren't any ropes or other types of barriers. You could get so close that you could almost touch the lights (as you can see by the man in the photo below)..... amazing.  I'm going back with Kavan soon!