Monday, May 9, 2011

Let the games begin!

This past weekend was action packed! The 137th Kentucky Derby was on Saturday at Churchill Downs.  First thing after Zumba I headed off to Trader Joes to get mint for mint juleps, my favorite drink :-9  A few hours out, and I already had my pink seersucker skirt on and mint julep in hand.  Ahhhhh, home....


Ever since Meredith won $100 on a $2 bet, I've tried to make it a point to bet on the race.  I ended up missing the online post time by 2 minutes!! Who has a post time over 2 hours before the race?! Luckily, this twist of fate was in my favor, neither Dialed In nor Stay Thirsty showed at the race. I thought the story behind the winner, Animal Kingdom, was really cool though.  The jockey was originally on the initial favorite, but that horse ended up scratching.  He then picked up Animal Kingdom a few days before the race after the horse trompled the nose of its first jockey. Only a few days of riding on a new horse and he managed to win the Derby! Now that's talent!

On Sunday, I managed to snag tickets to see the Twins game at Fenway.  It was an early birthday present for Kav and a nice breather from the intense studying he's been doing.  The Twins ended up losing 9 to 4, but we had a great time nonetheless.  Plus I got some pretty cool pictures to boot.


Youk-got what I neeeeeed
Maybe Kav's autograph will be worth something someday ;)